Professor Keertan Dheda MBBCh (Wits), FCP(SA), FCCP, FRCP (Lond), PhD (Lond) is a Consultant Pulmonologist and Specialist Physician, and is also part of the critical care team that manages the UCT Private Academic Hospital (UCT PAH) ICU.
Professor Dheda is Head of the Division of Pulmonology at Groote Schuur Hospital, and is Director of the Lung Infection and Immunity Unit at the UCT Lung Institute.
Cape pulmonolgy is embedded within the Netcare-managed UCT Private Academic Hospital, a 124-bed facility in Upper Observatory in Cape Town and adjoining the Groote Schuur Hospital and the University of Cape Town Medical School campus. Cape Pulmonology super specialists, Greg Symons and Greg Calligaro work closely with Prof Dheda here, trying to cure lung disease in Cape Town.
The hospital is staffed and run by academics from Groote Schuur Hospital and the University of Cape Town who are leading national or international experts in their respective fields of practice. Surgery, in-patient, rehabilitation and ICU facilities are also available.
The Centre for Chest Diseases and Lung Health focuses on problems related to:
- Airway diseases such as difficult to treat asthma and COPD (emphysema)
- Inflammatory diseases of the lung, including sarcoidosis and other interstitial lung diseases
- Allergies, including asthma, allergic rhinitis and sinusitis, and occupational asthma
- Respiratory infections, including those related to HIV and multi drug-resistant (MDR-TB) and extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB)
- Pulmonary vascular disease including pulmonary embolism (clots to the lung)
- Chest wall and pleural diseases (disorders involving the lung lining)
- Sleep disorders including evaluation of daytime sleepiness and obstructive sleep apnoea
- Evaluation of shortness of breath, persistent cough and other respiratory disorders
- Interventional bronchoscopy and including EBUS
- Fitness to fly and dive testing
We also offer a service to screen and treat problems of a general medical nature, including diabetes, hypertension, ischemic heart disease and other disorders that may impact on lung health.
Professor K. Dheda co-consults with a multi-disciplinary team that includes:
- Jacques Erasmus – Physiotherapist
- Dr. Loven Moodley, Dr. Jacques Sherman, Johan Brink and Professor Tony Linegar – Cardiothoracic surgeons
- ENT surgeons, cardiologists, audiologists, pathologists, microbiologists and a critical care team
To contact Professor Dheda, click here.